Lycanthropes or 'Lycans' and 'Weres' as they are colloquially called, are shapechangers that go between being human and animal depending on the moon. Feared by many, Lycans are not tolerated in the cities.
Lycans can be born with the curse, known as natural Lycans, or be infected with the curse like a diesease, known as afflicted lycans. Natural lycans and those who have been afflicted for a long time start developing traits even in humanoid form and begin to take on the alignment of their were-creature. Newly afflicted lycans may struggle controlling their curse- they may loose complete control under full moons, and can be involunatrily provoked into changing by being hurt, frightened or angered.
Lycans are typically either tame or wild during their first turns. Tame lycans have some control over their actions while changed, but wild lycans have been taken over by the beast- often meaning near by NPC's will turn hostile, and you character may lash out wildly, depending on it's species. Over time, a wild, afflicted lycan may become tame while natural lycans are almost always tame.
Being Bitten[edit | edit source]
A character normally would not be aware they are infected, and may only become aware of it during the next full moon. On their first change a lycan acts as the alignment of it's animal form. Good aligned lycan animals will avoid people and hurting sentient animals, but may hunt their desired prey. Evil aligned animals will attack all that they can, often being family and friends. Upon waking up after this change, most afflicted lycans cannot remember anything. If the character is aware of their affliction, they may be able to gain more control during the next change. Newly afflicted Lycans will also change when seriously injured, frightened or angered- until they begin gaining control of their lycanthropy.
Cure[edit | edit source]
Rumour has it that before their first change, afflicted lycans can be cured. It is thus recommened that those who do not desire to be lycans avoid changing into their alternative form, and stay inside on the 14th, 15th and 16th nights of the month. This may still not help, as something else may be able to trigger the change, such as pain or anger, but at least it lengthens once chance of being cured. ((It is recommonended you do not log out before you are cured, as sometimes the script will kick in when you are not in game and you will log in as a Lycan))
Fresh Belladonna, harvested from deadlynight shade found out in the wilds, is said to be able to help.
The longer one is a lycan, especially after their first change, the less hope there is of a cure. Some even say that it is impossible to cure after you have changed. But many afflicted lycans still hold out hope they can be rid of this curse...
Becoming a Lycan: Advice[edit | edit source]
As of now there are only three lycan species available: Wolf, Cat and Bear. You can be infected by chance, or ask a DM for permission to become one.
As the script is very complex some kinks are still being worked out of it, so it is not recommended becoming a lycan unless you are ready to deal with many bugs- some mild, some more frustrating- as this script is fully tested.
If you do become a lycan and have passed the point of being cured by fresh belladonna, it will be far harder to reverse the process, so think carefully.
Note that all lycans are capped to 36 levels. If you become a lycan or intend to become one, keep this in mind while leveling.
If you are happy and willing to become a lycan, here are some tips:
- Before your first turn, try and figure out what species you are likely to be. This may be rather simple, as you know what infected you, but you can be infected in a fight with a lycan in humanoid form as well. OOCly, you can look to see if any messages are coming up telling you certain creatures are becoming passive.
- Once you have figured out what species you are, figure out what they hunger for- Deer, honey? Find an area that is likely to have this food source and change there. On your first change the hunger will be all consuming- maybe even so strong it kills you. Make sure you are ready to go on a desperate feeding frenzy, as it takes a lot to satiate the hunger.
- You would be hyper sensitive to silver, and may be able to detect it on others- send a tell asking people to oocly warn you if they have large quantities of silver on them. This may give away you are a lycan oocly, but the other player should know better than to meta game with this info.
- Consider how strong you characters will is. Other than the script forcing you to change if outside during the nights of a fullmoon, how you RP your lycanthropy is optional. You may decide your characters will is too weak to fight the curse and succumb to the beast within. You may feel it is strong enough they can resist the beast while humanoid, but have little control over their changes. And of course, maybe your character welcomes the curse, and embraces the beast within.
Unique Lycan Scripts[edit | edit source]
Mating[edit | edit source]
Once a year, during winter, mating season comes about. Males are in heat all year long, but females only comes into heat during deep winter. This is the only time Lycans can mate, and only with members of the same species- meaning a werewolf and a werecat, for example, could not have a child. Sleeping in the same area with another member of the same species and of the opposite sex can also result in pregnancy, so Lycans should be careful during this time not to have any little accidents. To mate, you must be in animal form, go to animal menu, choose 'mating' and then pick a suitable partner, and they must do the same. A successful mating will result in a message saying so.
Pregnancy[edit | edit source]
The mother suffers from periodic or random effects, such as vomiting, weakness and fear. The character will take on the 'Large Phenotype' and appear fat close to the date of birth. Usually this takes 10 days IG, but as played- meaning you have to log around 24-32 hours IG with that character (The counter will not tick down if the player is not IG).
Later, the mother will take on animal form, and receive the messages 'It is Time', 'They are coming', 'They are here', in short succession after each other. It is recommended that the player either request a date for the birth, so that DM's can try and set the time, or ask about the expected date and be prepared to spend some time on the birthing event. Lycans give birth to young of their were-species, so a werecat would give birth to kittens. The number and sex of the children are random. Try your best not to log out during this process, as it could interrupt and break the birthing scripts, resulting in strange behavior and 'ghost' cubs (Cubs that appear in the party, but never spawn).
The resulting children open up slots for player's wanting to play 'Natural Lycans', those born lycans. As a result, the PC population of Natural lycans is kept limited, as they only exist when a PC completes a full pregnancy.
Child Rearing[edit | edit source]
This is usually left up to the mother, because the father tends to have run off during pregnancy. From the moment they are 'born' the children (in animal form) follow their mother around and pester ever so often for food and/or drink, (usually only drinking until they reach a number of days old. During this time, the father gets XP for bringing food to the mother. When they are eating solid food they may spread out between the parents. Some will follow dad around at that time, if the father is present. Bears eat raw fish, cats eat **** (Possibly fish, needs confirming) and wolves eat **** (Possibly raw meat, needs confirming).
They have no regeneration ability at this very young age, but will respawn at a cost of 2 Soul Runes. Thus the parents have something that can't shrug off a few heavy hits like they can. It's something fragile to look after, so not something that should be undertaken lightly.
The quest itself is completed by a hunting lesson, a way to teach the children how to fend for themselves. After this is complete they will be around a bit less. Only spawning when they choose or when DM calls them into an event.
The AI children will follow their own path for the most part, a 'carrier choice' is picked randomly from parents (sometimes families, if one or both parents are natural born), so they level according to the class they picked. Each litter has a unique number so the NPCs can recognize family (siblings, parents, siblings and such of parents if born, etc), these PCs they will interact with, even accept food and shelter from. Anyone else approaching them they will retreat behind the closest parent. Any item their parents give them is examined and equipped or used if possible, else returned to them. While still in the party they will copy their parents' example, such as if their parent shifts to small form, so will they.
PCs taking place of children[edit | edit source]
At any time (This includes the first few days when puppies eyes are still shut - But I wouldn't recommend it that early), a PC can take the place of the NPC AI Puppy/Kitten/Cub. This requires either both parents to be online, or just the mother and DM help (there is variable which should be in the DM Document to override test for father. If the mother has filled in the Tome of Self, the PC who intends to be the child needs to start a PC of the same name as one of the NPCs (It checks this), obviously the same gender too. That's it, the PC sets Subrace to 'Puppy', 'Kitten' or 'Cub', and when they start they should have a Player Tool Feat, this feat is used on the NPC Puppy/Kitten/Cub. From that moment the NPC no longer spawns, any items the NPC is carrying is transferred to the PC along with parent data, litter number, DOB, lycanthropic race, etc.
It is possible to take over the NPC Puppy/Kitten/Cub from the moment it is born, though this isn't advised as the pc is likely to starve if mother PC is not on line, better to choose after they started to eat solid food
Regeneration[edit | edit source]
Lycans are notoriously hard to kill and many rumours say only silver can fell a lycan. If a weapon does not have sonic or silver damage, or poisons targeting lycanthropy, a lycan will regenerate part of the damage done to them. This regeneration increases with favour of the Goddess Nagaelai. For some Lycans it's as if you never even struck them.
Natural Lycans are rumored to have better natural abilities than inflicted lycans, including better regenerative abilities.
Infecting others[edit | edit source]
A PC lycan can only infect three other characters, but can do so in any form when attacking people. For this reason, player's with a lycan character must be careful about starting PvP and should check that the other player is okay with the possible chance of being infected. Infections should be treated as seriously as permanently injuring another character should be.
Hunters[edit | edit source]
Large populations of Lycans, or even single lycans, in an area can attract the attention of hunters (Both NPC and PC). These hunter's have the equipment and skill to kill or capture a lycan. Some even can sense transmutation energies and detect lycanthropy. As such, Lycans should avoid spending unnecessary amounts of time in civilised areas and travelling in large groups through such areas.
Species[edit | edit source]
Werewolves[edit | edit source]
In human form a werewolf has very few traits that distinguish them from their fellows. Natural Lycans or those who have been afflicted for a long time may develop certain physical characteristics.
Werewolves are chaotic evil in standard DnD, but Argentum Regio allows for more flexible alignments. Usually those who succumb to the curse will take pleasure in bloodshed and the hunting. They seek to dominate others, seeing all other creatures as prey. Some werewolves have even been known to deliberately leave people alive after an attack, especially those known to have a good reputation or are fit and strong, simply to allow for the curse to have a chance to warp them.
Werewolves that can fight the curse may be able to have limited control over themselves when transformed.
In Argentum Regio, Werewolves may show different behaviour, due to the less restrictive alignments.
Werewolves may find themself striking out as a lone wolf, but werewolves are sociable and tend to travel in pairs, packs (6-10) or troupes (2-5 Lycans, 5-8 wolves). Rumour has it there is a pack that numbers over 50 members, maybe even growing close to a hundred.
- Wolf- Wolves are pack hunters known for their persistence and cunning. Typically true Neutral in alignment. See Grey Wolf entry on wikipedia for more information.
- Winter wolf (DM approval)- Dangerous predators of the tundra and other chill regions, winter wolves pursue prey relentlessly. They rarely give up the chase until they bring down their quarry. Winter wolves are more intelligent than their smaller cousins and sometimes associate with other evil creatures of their cold homelands, such as frost giants, whom they serve as scouts, hunters, and trackers. A winter wolf grows about 8 feet long and stands about 4-1/2 feet at the shoulder. It weighs about 450 pounds. ((The NwN Model means Winter Wolves look only a bit bigger than normal wolves)) Winter wolves can speak Giant and Common. Typically true winter wolves are Neutral Evil.
(Needs confirming if all 'white wolf' werewolves are winter wolves or not.)
- Warg (DM approval)- Worgs are sinister wolves that have attained some intelligence and an evil disposition. They sometimes associate with other evil beings, particularly goblins, whom they serve as mounts and guardians.Worgs usually live and hunt in packs. Their favored prey is large herbivores. Although they typically stalk and kill young, sick, or weak animals, they don’t hesitate to hunt humanoids, particularly when game is scarce. Worgs may stalk humanoid prey for hours or even days before attacking, and choose the most advantageous terrain and time of day to do so (during the predawn hours, for example).A typical worg has gray or black fur, grows to 5 feet long and stands 3 feet tall at the shoulder. It weighs 300 pounds.More intelligent than their smaller cousins, worgs speak their own language. Some can also speak Common and Goblin. Typically true wargs are Neutral Evil.
- Small form wolf
- Lyconic form (Depends on species)
- Call helpers
Werewolves hunger for prey, such as deer, and must hunt to satisfy their hunger. Find deer out in the wilderness or close to the road sides and hunt them down in one of your alternative forms.
- Wolf Behaviour: ((http://www.wolfsa.org.za/content_behaviour.htm))
- Wolf Body Language ((http://www.timberwolfinformation.org/kidsonly/posture/postures.htm))
- Wargs and Winter Wolves are typically more evil than normal wolves, so you may wish to incoporate this into your RP.
Werecats[edit | edit source]
- Bobcat (Small orange cat- Japanese bobcat)
- Black and white
- Sphynx ((DM approval only))
- Small Cat form
- Cat's Grace (Can be cast on others)
- Werecats 'hunger' for milk. While most inns 'offer' milk, most do not sell it (What kind of fop goes to a bar to drink milk?). Market stalls will sell milk, however.
- Cat Behaviour and Body language: http://www.moggies.co.uk/behaviour.html
Wererats[edit | edit source]
((Not yet available to PCs))
Evil lycans that are among the most common near human settlements, wererats are sneaky and nervous creatures. Often they sell out their skills and keen knowledge of the cities run ways and escape routes, becoming spies, thieves and assassins. They live in large families, and prefer living in a tunnel system of sorts- be it cavern or sewer.
Travel alone, in pairs, a pack (6-10) or a troupe (2-5 weres, 5-8 rats).
Werebats[edit | edit source]
((Not yet available to PCs))
Werebats are neutral evil lycanthropes that in DnD realms were often turned from drow. In Argentum Regio it may still be the case that many of the werebats are drow immigrants to this world, but they are also likely to be those who wandered too far underground. Shy and elusive in nature, they prefer using surprise and agility to hunt prey. In humanoid form, a werebat prefers it's meat rare. Werebats avoid bright light, coming out during the night and hiding in deep caves during the day. They prefer to be alone, and rarely travel with others of their kind.
Wereboars[edit | edit source]
((Not yet available to PCs))
Wereboars are mean tempered, and always itching for a fight, but are not neccesarily evil. Of neutral alignment, the wereboar will hunt anything for food, should it feel it is edible and hungry enough, and aggresively chase others from it's territory. Often their quick temper can give them away even in humanoid form.
A wereboar who succumbs to their curse may find themselves animalistically protecting a piece of territory and going about daily life simply and agressively.
A wereboar who gains control of their curse may still find themselves irritable, but have better control over their impulses- until the boar breaks through.
- Boar Body Language: http://www.suwanneeriverranch.com/wild-boar-body-language.htm
- Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_boar
Werebears[edit | edit source]
Werebears are lawful good. Often they find themselves drawn to being protectors of nature as a bear and defenders of the weak as a person. However werebears are often also reclusive, and dislike being crowded or having others in their personal space. They also tend to be grumpy and easily agitated by others, although this rarely ends in assualt. Werebears are rarer due to the curse rarely being transferred through bite, and when done so is often done as a way of passing on the role of protector to the afflicted.
A werebear who succumbs to their curse may find themselves tracking down evil creatures to slay, or fiercly defending nature against her agressors.
A werebear who gains control of their animal side may use their lycan abilities as they please, but may still find themselves acting as defender of nature and the weak.
Werebears are often solitary, as bears are, but may travel in pairs or a family (3-4). Occasionally werebears may make a troupe (2-4 lycans, 1-4 bears). They are not territorial, but may have land they prefer to stay to.
- Black Bear: The black bear is a forest-dwelling omnivore that usually is not dangerous unless an interloper threatens its cubs or food supply. Black bears can be pure black, blond, or cinnamon in color and are rarely more than 5 feet long. Neutral Alignment (See Black Bear on Wikipedia for more info)
- Brown Bear- These massive carnivores weigh more than 1,800 pounds and stand nearly 9 feet tall when they rear up on their hind legs. They are bad-tempered and defensive of their space. Neutral Alignment (See Brown Bear on Wikipedia for more Info)
- Dire Bear (DM approval)
- Small form bear
- Lyconic form (Same for each type)
- Bear hug (Preforms Bear grab- a grapple with no chance of an attack of oppotunity by others in DnD rules)
- Call helper- summons a bear of random species to your aid.
- Improved intensity
- Werebears hunger for honey, and are one of the few creatures that can steal from a hive without blinking an eye. To find honeycomb, search the wilderness for bee hives and stock up.
- Bear Body Language: http://www.bearsmart.com/resources/north-american-bears/communication
- Brown Bear Behaviour: http://library.sandiegozoo.org/factsheets/brown_bear/brown_bear.html#behavior
- Black Bear Behaviour: http://www.americanbear.org/blackbearfacts.htm